audit for $375
Enter "AUDIT-COLLEGE" in the coupon code at checkout in order to not take the course for credit. Auditing means you are not required to complete assignments and the professor will not be reviewing your work. We strongly recommend full participation for maximum value.
Upon completion of the course, a student will be able to:
- Identify the genre (nature) of the gospel texts
- Explain and critique what scholars have called the “synoptic problem”
- Understand the literary world of the gospel writers
- Describe the political, cultural, and religious contexts of 1st century Palestine, including key people, groups, and places
- Articulate a clear understanding of the identity and mission of Jesus within his immediate context
- Translate the mission of Jesus into a 21st century context
- Practice the “way of Jesus” in relation to the world in which she or he lives
Strauss, Mark L. Four Portraits, One Jesus: A Survey of Jesus and the Gospels. Zondervan, 2007.
Theissen, Gerd. The Shadow of the Galilean: The Quest of the Historical Jesus in Narrative Form. 1st Fortress Press ed. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1987.
Please bring an English translation of the Bible to each class.
The life and teaching of Jesus of Nazareth will be explored according to the material presented in the synoptic gospels. Particular attention will be given to the historical, political, and cultural background of 1st century Palestine.
- Lectures 13
- Quizzes 0
- Duration College Semester
- Skill level Level 100
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes